Friday, January 8, 2010

that was better

Today was much clearer in many ways. I’m going to put the last conversation first, just because it was so much fun.

  • Conversation: Stephanie & her grandma, in person. Goal: Test run a project. Stephanie’s having a birthday party soon and we decided that the main event should be a craft. We’ll be making bears based on BlueBeary.
    • Stephanie and I got together with her grandma to make a trial bear. First we had to find material in the closet (corduroy), then recreate the pattern that Kathleen had scanned & emailed with some difficulty. As this was a trial, we made lots of errors, like sewing the face on AFTER we sewed the back and front together, so we had to work through a small gap in the bear’s side where the stuffing should go in. Oops! Even though it took us 2.5 hours to complete this crazy project (it will go faster for the next 17 or so bears!), we had a good time together and Steph was thrilled with her wonky bear-of-little-neck and looking forward to more. We’re going material shopping on Saturday.
    • My favourite thing about this evening and the birthday project in general has been realizing how perfectly it fits with Siretona Creative’s goal of empowering women in the arts in order to build community that strengthens intergenerational bonds. (Not sure how this might facilitate international reach, but that might not matter right now.)
  • Conversation: Audrey in Red Deer by phone. Goal: talk about my vision and mission for equipping women in the arts to build community among generations and nations.
    • Audrey and her husband hosted one of my first house concerts in 2007. It was a lovely evening then and we’ve wanted to do it again. We’re working on something soon.
    • As I shared my vision, Audrey mentioned her sister-in-law, a watercolour artist, whose mother before her is a watercolour artist. (I love those kinds of legacies.) We wondered together about possibilities for this sister-in-law’s art. I mused about the question of what is enough.
  • Conversation: Audrey’s husband Pete, by phone. Goal: talk about finding me a replacement car with my insurance money. It just occurred to me this morning to talk to him.
  • Conversation: Kathleen McMillan, by phone & email. Goal: Ponder business direction. Equip me with a pattern & instructions. to make bears.
  • Conversation: Lana of Keys to Music studio, via Facebook messages. Goal: Ride the scheduling roller coaster together. She’s dialoguing with a family about music lessons for their children and it’s a tricky process. We also talked about co-writing songs with a specific project in mind, and about getting me a house concert or two.
  • Conversation: Susan, the Accidental Poet/Housewife, via Facebook messages. Goal: Talk details about house concerts, among other things.
  • Conversation with many people on Facebook & email about my song “My Grandmother’s House” which has gone from #43 to #20 in 2 days on IndieHeaven’s Fan Faves chart!

There are always more, but those are some that stand out at the end of the day. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment