Monday, January 11, 2010

in camera

Martha bookmark - Mother's Day gifts A question came to me today: What is the line between name dropping and reporting? There must be something qualitative: it doesn’t feel right, maybe it’s downright distasteful, yet it’s hard to put a finger on.

I do not intend to be a name dropper in this blog. I do intend to report on my activities in attempting to promote this business of Siretona Creative. I also intend to do appropriate cross-promotion. But if I ever stoop to name-dropping, please somebody call me on it!!!

On with today’s conversations:

  • Conversation: My chiropractor, Dr. Scott Melrose. Goals: (1) to rehabilitate me from whiplash sustained on December 6th, and (2) to determine whether I’m ready to play a full concert on Saturday. I played guitar for quite awhile at Christmas and was fine, but the locus of pain has shifted from upper back to neck and on Friday I tried to play but could hardly get through one song without extreme discomfort and numbness. He told me, “You’re 50/50 right now for being ready to play. Come back tomorrow. In the meantime, ice it 3 times, do these stretches, and take this natural anti-inflammatory this much and this often.” Seems better already.
  • Conversation: George, Bernice & Olga, 3 senior citizens, in person, Glenmore Landing Starbucks. Goal: Talk about Martha Morgan’s book. I was enjoying my coffee and doing some personal business, when suddenly it occurred tome to offer book marks to the seniors behind me. They seemed interested in Martha. Turns out they are Starbucks crawlers and could tell me exactly how many shops there are in Vancouver! As we chatted, we discovered a Caronport connection: George was a Saskatchewan boy from Swift Current and had attended Caronport High School back in the day—the 1940s. So we talked about Saskatchewan and Caronport, and people we knew in common, several decades apart. We talked about how George & Bernice have been married for 57 years. We talked about Olga’s Ukranian background and Ukranian Christmas traditions. It was delightful. Who knows if they buy books or book a concert. I certainly suggested it more than once, but didn’t push it, as we had such a delightfully human conversation.
  • Conversation: Carol W., in person, Glenmore Landing Good Earth. Goal: Get to know each other and find out how we might fit into one another’s worlds. A mutual friend had introduced us via email, so we took his recommendation seriously and had a lunch date. I showed her my products (BlueBeary, Notes from Over the Hill, and Minus 40 Tour CD). She said, “I know some people you need to meet,” and proceeded to dictate names, short bios, and contact info. Talked about art, friends, family, Bible study, Regent College, business mentorship, funding possibilities, and getting together again sooner than later! She urged me to get a membership at the Calgary Public Library, which was on my list of things to do, but is now higher up. She also urged me to finish writing a business plan (it’s kind of drafted). She’s going to Vancouver and Regent tomorrow, so took a sample of each product for the Regent Bookstore manager.
    • Follow-up: Called and/or emailed several of the people Carol recommended.
  • Conversation: Kevin’s mom, in person. Goal: refine our pattern for stuffed BlueBearys and increase production. She cut out nearly 20 brown bottoms while I designed the face (fiddly work) and sewed two by hand, then sewed up one bear. I haven’t sewn in nearly 20 years, so I’m on a learning curve. It has to get better! We’ll have another go at it tomorrow. Had the Flames vs. Avalanche game on in the background. Bonding time in every way. :)
  • Conversations: There were the usual slate of emails, but it felt so good to have so many face-to-face conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment