Wednesday, January 6, 2010

More than I realized

Coming to this post I thought I had failed at my goal, but it quickly became clear that I had exceeded it. A couple of points are a bit of a stretch, but I can afford to throw them in on an conversation-rich day. (The funny thing is, I spend most of the day alone!)

By phone:

image

    • I remember a conversation with her in the summer of 2006 where she was so encouraging about my decision to pursue a creative career. This conversation was memorable because I didn’t even know I was on her radar, but we were Facebook friends and she had been following me enough to comment on and care about my life.
    • In the past couple of years we both lived in the Last Mountain area in southern Saskatchewan (Arlington Beach, Duval, Strasbourg), and I wish I had capitalized on the proximity to get to know her better sooner. I’m so grateful for the time we did have: Lisa, her husband Don, and their two adorable children Adin & Van.
    • Just over a year ago Lisa and I collaborated on the song “Child of My Heart” and sang it together at the Options Pregnancy Centre fundraising banquet in Regina.
    • Lisa has done a couple of photo shoots for me. One with Dara Hallett for our Minus 40 Tour CD promo, the other for book promo, especially BlueBeary.
    • Today we talked about all kinds of things—relationships, kids, the house they recently bought—and we talked about business, something we often talk about and/or collaborate on. Lisa has reserved a table at a Strasbourg event and is going to set up a display and look for photography bookings. I love her initiative and ingenuity.

 

  • A lady in another province whose sister has written a book. The lady wants to help her sister get motivated, but realizes that it doesn’t matter what a person is given, they have to want to do things themselves before anything can happen. For what it was worth we talked about my creative services and possible ways I could work with her sister.

 

In person:

  • New tutoring students. I met two new students tonight, a brother & sister. by way of getting to know each other I gave them each a business card and we talked about the pictures and links on the back of it. They suspected that my websites would be designed “to help people learn stuff.” That’s certainly one thing I hope for through Siretona Creative!

image

Via email:

  • Kathleen McMillan. After a Christmas reprieve, Kathleen and I are getting our communication flowing again. There’s a lot to think about as we work on the Open Eyes Books series and consider alternate formats and spin-off products, along with the printed versions. We are asking God for wisdom in our business decisions and trying not to lean on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6). 

image

With tweets

  • Yesterday I learned about the @weinerfamily and their important, attractive, and downright delightful iPhone app called “A Family Matters.” Lynette Mattke described it as “an app that takes you out of the app.” I started following the Weiner Family on Twitter, they followed me back, and we’ve exchanged a few messages.

 

  • Kim Page Gluckie, @Power_of_M. Kim and I didn’t really talk vision and goals today. We exchanged a couple of tweets, she complimented my new Twitter picture. Kim deserves a mention here for ‘historical’ reasons. When I decided to move to Calgary, I looked for ways to network with other self-employed business women. M-powered Marketing really stood out as something immediately accessible and in my area of the city. So I registered for the November 18th workshop (Time & Money Are Limited Resources: Make marketing choices that save) and was so inspired that I took the next one on December 16th (Exit Strategies). The second one was even more ‘m-power-ing’, but more about that on another day.

1 comment:

  1. Your meme is spreading. In spite of a day spent mostly alone, I had more than two conversations today, one of them over Skype with a friend in New Zealand with whom I shared the two conversations idea (she's needing some help with gaining momentum towards reaching her goals), one in person with a friend whose dog I took for a walk, and several over email and on online forums!

    ReplyDelete