Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 7 – getting back on the wagon

All week I’ve been thinking about this blog and intentionally letting it slide. Blogging gurus say regular posting is critical to increased followership. Fair enough. But right now, I’m blogging to track my progress in business and in wedding plans.

Last week was full, full, full with meetings and transitions. I left my laptop at my fiancé's house most of the week in order to focus on the bookstore and packing to move. Living with my brother has been good, but we needed to cut my commuting time in the weeks leading up to the wedding, so as of Thursday I am staying in my future in-laws’ basement suite. Seems like a reasonable arrangement thus far. I really enjoy my future mother-in-law.

On Monday, Kathleen McMillan was in Calgary, tagging along with her husband Grant as he attended a conference. She used the two days to catch up on some admin work for Open Eyes Books and to visit with me. We spent Monday morning meeting at Phil & Sebastian Coffee in Marda Loop, where Kathleen had the best yogurt she’d ever tasted. We spread out our books and got down to business. In the process, two different people overheard our conversations and talked to us about it.

First there was Jen, the business coach, who works specifically with women entrepreneurs, helping them figure out how to make their businesses profitable. We each took one of her cards.

Then there was Chris(?), who is clearly proud and supportive of his wife, who was at the other end of the shop conducting a meeting. He gave us one of her cards and a complimentary copy of her book.

Aside from the significant headway that Kathleen and I made, these two conversations were extremely heartening for us, like affirmations that we’re on the right track.

Yesterday was a wedding shopping day: men’s suits from Moores and ideas for “intelligent storage solutions” from IKEA.

Today, a meeting with the two women who will oversee our wedding catering. That’s a HUGE piece to get into place and I came away tired but satisfied with our progress..

And now, to sleep, perchance to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment